Monday, June 25, 2007

Under My Umbrella - Ella - Ella - Ella






I'm in York now, and I'm about to drown from all the rain, but really - what did I expect in England?

The wedding was spectacular. Adrienne was stunning - she looked like a princess! The ceremony was in Adrienne and Alex's church, which is an informal building, and the service was very modern, with a band leading everyone in worship songs (which, happily for me, were all in English). Adrienne's friend Jennifer, the mother of the flower girl, sat next to me and translated, so I was able to understand what was going on.

As we rode in the limo through historic Salzburg to the reception, people would get excited to see Adrienne in her wedding finery and would wave at her. She started waving at everyone, and there was even a group of Japanese tourists who ran up to the car at a traffic light to take pictures!

The reception was at a very nice hotel, starting with a cocktail hour while they took pictures, then proceeding to a sit-down dinner. Adrienne even had a choice on the menu that she selected especially for me, knowing that I would love it! I must say, the food in Austria was much better than in England. I got to meet all of her friends, and it was clear that she has some good, close friends there, which made me happy for her.

We were up late dancing the night away (most of the music was American), and then I went up to my room, which I was sharing with the boys. At 4:30 a.m., their dad, Tobi, showed up to take them to the airport in Munich to put them on a plane for the US. Adrienne had put them to bed in their traveling clothes so he could just carry them sleeping down to the car. They will be in KC for a month, so I'll get to see them again after my trip!

At 7:30 a.m., I woke up again to leave for the airport, and Adrienne, who had stayed up with her friends until the boys left, got up again to see me off (and to calm me down when I went into a sleep-deprivation-inspired tizzy when I couldn't find all my things). When we emerged out front where the taxi was waiting, Alex was there as well - he had also gotten up to see me off! I think she found a keeper in him.

Then it was another traveling day, heading back to London (Salzburg's airport was a breeze compared to Stansted), and three-hour train ride to York.

I arrived to a little drizzle, which I walked through on my 15-minute trek to my bed and breakfast. Since I am only here one night, I splurged and didn't stay in a hostel. My B&B is adorable, and my room was perfect. Wish I could afford B&Bs the whole way! Although the hostels are nice for meeting people.

I took the 6:45 p.m. walking tour, even though it was pouring down rain by that time. There were only three of us there to brave the rain, and thankfully, it stopped halfway through the tour. The guide was very interesting. He showed us the old Roman wall, the medieval wall on top of it, the old Abbey ruins from Henry VIII's tirade, the bars ("bars" means gates) that stood around the city wall, the old architecture throughout the town, and he even told us a couple ghost stories.

Afterward, he bought me an orange juice in a cute little pub. Don't get excited, anyone - he was my dad's age and we talked about his girlfriend and their upcoming trip to Australia. Then I scooted back to my B&B so I wouldn't have to walk in the dark, and I fell asleep at 10 p.m., even though it was still a little light out!

This morning I woke up at 7:30 a.m. after a wonderful night's sleep, and went down for breakfast in their cute little dining room. There was a group of six there from Indiana, and we compared notes on our travels while we ate our English breakfast.

Then I checked out and talked them into letting me have the spare key so I could leave my bag there while I finished touring York.

I headed out through a pouring rain for York Minster, which is a ginormous cathedral built on top of old Roman ruins and an earlier, Norman church. It was really a fascinating place.

Now I'm in an internet cafe, and I plan to grab a bite after this and then check out the castle museum before grabbing my bag and catching the train for Edinburgh.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have been having great adventures. I wish I could be with you! But then who would take care of Fluffy? I scooped her litter box on Friday and gave her a ton of food and water because we were going to my parents' house for my mom's bday this weekend. Now that it is Monday, I will check on her today at lunch. Maybe sprawl in your house a bit. . . I've also stolen books. . .

If you want to write, write to the karrinhuhmann@gmail.com account rather than the kradnbarrin account. We don't check it much.

I am speaking in a Scottish accent today, in your honor. Let me know if the Scots remind you of anyone, b/c they are my peops!

~K

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have been having great adventures. I wish I could be with you! But then who would take care of Fluffy? I scooped her litter box on Friday and gave her a ton of food and water because we were going to my parents' house for my mom's bday this weekend. Now that it is Monday, I will check on her today at lunch. Maybe sprawl in your house a bit. . . I've also stolen books. . .

If you want to write, write to the karrinhuhmann@gmail.com account rather than the kradnbarrin account. We don't check it much.

I am speaking in a Scottish accent today, in your honor. Let me know if the Scots remind you of anyone, b/c they are my peops!

~K

Anonymous said...

sorry about the double post. i am old and challenged by social networking and bloggish things.
~K

Mandy said...

Nicole,
I am so happy for your fun adventures over seas! I have been housesitting, so didn't get to check your blog for a few days, so got lots of info all at once! Can't wait to see the pictures, but no stress about them not being up until you are back in KC.
Have fun!!
Mandy :)