

Today was Adrienne and Alex's civil wedding ceremony. In Austria, they have a civil ceremony and a church ceremony, and the church ceremony is tomorrow.
After running around to Adrienne's morning hair and nail appointments, we headed over to Alex's apartment to change and get all made up. Adrienne was wearing an adorable little mini-dress that she had her tailor create from a picture in Vogue of a Valentino dress. The boys' dad dropped them off and they put on the cute matching sweater vests that Adrienne got them and we all piled into Alex's new SUV and headed through a rain shower for the town hall.
There we met several members of Alex's family, as well as their "witnesses" (best man and matron of honor), their good friends Gunter and Sjela (pronounced Shayla). Everyone was very nice, although the language barrier prevented me from having any extended conversations.
The official who conducted the ceremony was a bit cold and curt, but since I didn't know what he was saying anyway, it didn't really matter. It didn't matter to Adrienne and Alex either, because the civil ceremony is more of a legal formality. That said, I know you'll all be shocked to know that I did shed a few tears when I saw Adrienne looking so happy.
After the ceremony, the rain stopped just long enough for them to get some nice pictures taken in the garden behind the town hall, before it started pouring again and we all loaded up and headed into the historic heart of the city for a bite to eat. We went to a fancy little restaurant with a big granite kitchen in the middle where you could watch the chefs make up your little tapas from the comfort of the white leather couches that were set around the tables.
Alex's grandfather sat next to me because he was excited to practice his English. "Enjoy your meal," he said proudly when I was served, and "still water has no bubbles" when I was trying to order a simple glass of water. If I tried to speak to him, he looked a little overwhelmed, so I stuck with agreeing with him whenever he attempted a sentence.
Now we're back at Adrienne's place, and she is packing up the boys for their month-long trip to America. They leave early the morning after the wedding (their dad will drive them to the airport in Munich). They'll be in Kansas City almost two weeks before I will!
After running around to Adrienne's morning hair and nail appointments, we headed over to Alex's apartment to change and get all made up. Adrienne was wearing an adorable little mini-dress that she had her tailor create from a picture in Vogue of a Valentino dress. The boys' dad dropped them off and they put on the cute matching sweater vests that Adrienne got them and we all piled into Alex's new SUV and headed through a rain shower for the town hall.
There we met several members of Alex's family, as well as their "witnesses" (best man and matron of honor), their good friends Gunter and Sjela (pronounced Shayla). Everyone was very nice, although the language barrier prevented me from having any extended conversations.
The official who conducted the ceremony was a bit cold and curt, but since I didn't know what he was saying anyway, it didn't really matter. It didn't matter to Adrienne and Alex either, because the civil ceremony is more of a legal formality. That said, I know you'll all be shocked to know that I did shed a few tears when I saw Adrienne looking so happy.
After the ceremony, the rain stopped just long enough for them to get some nice pictures taken in the garden behind the town hall, before it started pouring again and we all loaded up and headed into the historic heart of the city for a bite to eat. We went to a fancy little restaurant with a big granite kitchen in the middle where you could watch the chefs make up your little tapas from the comfort of the white leather couches that were set around the tables.
Alex's grandfather sat next to me because he was excited to practice his English. "Enjoy your meal," he said proudly when I was served, and "still water has no bubbles" when I was trying to order a simple glass of water. If I tried to speak to him, he looked a little overwhelmed, so I stuck with agreeing with him whenever he attempted a sentence.
Now we're back at Adrienne's place, and she is packing up the boys for their month-long trip to America. They leave early the morning after the wedding (their dad will drive them to the airport in Munich). They'll be in Kansas City almost two weeks before I will!

No comments:
Post a Comment