Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Close Call

OK, all that optimism about being just fine in the rain and going to see all these things before I left York - forget that!

The rain just would not stop, and the wind was picking up, and it was cold, and I was miserable. So, even though it was a tough choice, I decided to forego the Castle Museum and leave for Edinburgh. I struggled through the rain back to the B&B to pick up my bag, where part of the street was starting to flood a bit. My pants were completely soaked, but I gathered up my things and set off on the 15-minute walk through the deluge for the train station.

At the train station, I encountered chaos.

Several trains were cancelled, most of the rest were delayed, and the people were frantic. I found two trains on their way to Edinburgh, but they just kept getting delayed and delayed and delayed. I sat there for four hours, waiting for one to finally take off. When I finally did get one, I discovered from the people around me that I was in much better shape. I guess there was flooding on the lines, and so many trains were delayed or diverted that people who had planned four-hour trips were taking 12 hours or more to get where they were going!

When I finally got to Edinburgh and checked into my hostel, they had the TV going behind the reception counter, and there was major flooding in the suburbs around York - they were having to airlift people off roofs with helicopters! I guess I made the right decision to get out of there!!

My hostel here is a palace compared to the one in Bath - I never thought I would get so excited about reading lights, good water pressure and free internet.

Now I'm off for a full day in Edinburgh, where the weather should be nice but chilly today. Tomorrow it's supposed to - yes, you guessed it - rain.

No comments: