Friday, June 29, 2007

LDN

For those of you who are familiar with Lily Allen's song "LDN," you know how my day has gone so far. It might have been a beautiful day in London, but everything was crappy.

Not only was my bunk near the door, with everyone coming and going, but it was next to the wall that adjoined the pub. The sink literally held about three cups of water, so I was splashing water all over my feet trying to wash my face. The other women in the dorm were not the most considerate, and all this added up to a terrible night's sleep.

I got up early and went out to get a sightseeing tour, which didn't go by any of the major sights, because there was a possible car bomb found in a very busy touristy area of the city, and everything was closed off for the investigation. Plus, the battery on my camera died.

I got to the British Museum, which should be called the British Zoo, because there were so many people there you couldn't see anything!

I started to have a little breakdown, so I decided I couldn't spend another week like this. It was either find a place I could get a good night's sleep or go home early. I chose the former, getting out my guidebook and finding a cheap hotel, where they had a tiny, closet-sized room I could take for only £25 a night, but it was mine - nobody else in there, and clean, and quiet. Plus it's right by the theaters showing the two shows I most want to see - "Billy Elliot" and "Wicked."

I am taking advantage of my final free internet before I check out of the hostel, so no guarantees on further opportunities for photo posting, but I'll try.

OK, enough griping. I'm going to move into the cupboard under the stairs and put on a good attitude!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nicole,
It sounds like you are having a great time on your vacation! The pictures are beautiful and your descriptions are vivid. Far more fun than my business trip to DC this week!
Ryan

Anonymous said...

Hey, the supposed car bomb, as you know by now, was real! I was worried about you and am so glad it all came to naught.

Much enjoyed your photos and look forward to seeing the rest. I'll be home the night of the 9th, so we need to make plans to get together!

Ms. Fluffy is fine, but lonely. I managed to get her to let me hold and pet her. I should probably go spend this rainy Saturday at your house watching telly and cuddling kitty.

Yes, it has been raining for three days here. I hope you didn't escape the York flood only to return to one here!

Much love,
~K