Saturday, June 30, 2007

Pride London








Don't worry everyone - I'm fine. These terror threats and attacks have only served to inconvenience me, not to endanger me.

It seems like there has been a lot of big news here in England during my time here. There's a new prime minister, there were terror threats and attacks (possibly connected), there were devastating floods in Yorkshire (while I was there), they are instituting a country-wide smoking ban in public places (starting tomorrow), Wimbledon is on now (when it's not raining), and the princes are putting on a huge concert tomorrow in honor of the 10th anniversary of the death of their mother, Princess Diana.

Oh, and Karrin and CKinn - remember when we stumbled on the KC Gay Pride Fest when we were wandering around First Friday? Well, I did the same thing here - times 100!! There was a huge Gay Pride London parade, and I happened on it just as it started pouring into Trafalgar Square. There were the gay police officers, the gay navy sailors, the gay firefighters, the gay Scots dancing in kilts, and the obligatory gay guys in speedos dancing to electronic music. Don't worry - I have lots of pictures. There was the sweetest little old lady standing next to me, watching the parade, asking me to read the banners to her because her vision wasn't good, and at the end, she turns to me and says, "I think I'm going to join in. I'm 72, and I've only told a few people that I'm gay. Why not?"

I also saw Big Ben, Westminster Abbey and the Tower of London today - in the pouring down rain. The only time the rain cleared up today was during the parade! Must mean something...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Nicole! Well, as you may have read in my last post, it's been raining here, too! So you aren't getting anything we aren't getting back home and you don't have to worry about having missed the finest weather of the summer. Although I guess it's not hot hot hot either, but I'm rather over it. The plants have had enough water and I need to sit out in the sunshine, not to mention need to clean my car and the gutters and cut the lawn.

Keep on having fun! Go see some music at a rawk club! Kiss a Brit with bad teeth! Go pick up on one of the princes! (they prob. don't qualify for the bad teeth kissing, so count hitting on a prince as your third "must do")

Loves,
~K