Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Edinburgh Rocks



Not only is this hostel wonderful, but I was lucky enough to have only one other girl in my four-woman suite last night, and the unit is "ensuite," meaning the facilities are in the room and not down the hall. Such luxury!

This morning, I started at the Edinburgh Castle. I got there before it opened, but this turned out to be a good thing, because the line quickly grew and it was nice to be third in the "queue." The castle was huge and fascinating. The only drawback was that it was cold and the wind was blowing hard up there on the rock that the castle is built on.

Next, I walked down the Royal Mile, stopping at a pub for some macaroni and cheese - just the thing when you're cold! At the other end of the Royal Mile, I stopped at the Holyrood House palace, only to discover that it was closed because the Queen will be here soon for a week or so. But the good news is that I will probably get to see Windsor Castle when I'm in London, because she'll be in Edinburgh!

Then off to a double-decker bus tour, which provided good views and funny stories, and helped me figure out my next destination - the Museum of Scotland! Unfortunately, the museum was closing when I got there (apparently, they don't run on Nicole time).

I'm thinking that Edinburgh is so great that I'm going to need to stay another half day instead of going straight to London on Thursday.

Now, I'm off to find a bite to eat - walking up and down the steep hills here has made me work up a healthy appetite!

2 comments:

Cindy Gibson said...

I'm so excited you are loving Scotland! Are you sick of hearing about Mary Queen of Scots yet? She was everywhere! Don't forget to try the haggis, too! And if you have time take the bus (#7 I think) to the Rosyln Chapel from the DaVinci Code. It's worth the trip and a short ride from the city. Sounds like a wonderful adventure!

Mandy said...

Should I ever make it over to Scotland, you will have to give me more details of the ins and outs. I am so happy you are getting along so well and are obviously having a great time! Thanks for keeping us up to date with your trip!!
Mandy :)