So on Sunday, I ran my first 5K. It was the KC Bike and Foot Chase, which the Kansas City Police Department puts on each year.
Here's the part I'm proud of:
Not only did I finish, I ran the whole way - no walking for Nicole!
Here's the embarrassing part:
I came in 81st out of 96 people, and this 72-year-old man with a knee issue passed me over and over and over again. He would run past me, his knee popping audibly with each step, and then as soon as he pulled ahead of me, he would slow to a walk. He would wait for me to pass him and then start the whole humiliating process over again.
I guess slow and steady doesn't always win the race, but it does finish the race and give you a sense of accomplishment!
The Star's Community Faces photographer was there, and she took three pictures of me. Find them here if you must. I'm not making it easy on you to see them, because they're not all that flattering!
Training:
On a related note, training for the triathlon is going swimmingly (you may groan now). I was concerned about the swim, until I realized that I could swim 500 meters non-stop in the pool if I alternated between the freestyle and back strokes on each lap. What a relief!
On Monday night at the tri training clinic, we did a "brick," which means you do one event and then another. We biked 12 miles and then ran 2 miles. It was hot and humid as all get-out, which put a damper on my bike ride, but there was a lovely, big, dark cloud cooling things down by the time I got to the run.
I have one more week of intensive training, and then I will "taper," which is tri-talk for taking it easier the week of the race.
Two weeks and two days until the tri!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Your post made me laugh so hard! I had two older ladies who kept spurring me on-I was not coming in behind them! :) I am so proud of you and I'm glad you had fun. I can't wait to hear about your triathlon. Next May we should run the Leavenworth triathlon together. It will be cake for you after running one in August heat.
P.S. I removed my other comment because I swore way too much in it. Just Kidding-I had a couple dumb sounding typos.
Post a Comment