OK, so the fact that I have become a sedentary blob on the couch and the fact that Jami has inspired me with her success have led to a very surprising conclusion - I have signed up for a triathlon!
No, you aren't seeing things, that's what I said. A triathlon. As in, swim then bike then run. Don't worry, I'm not going from couch to Ironman here. It's a "sprint" triathlon, where I will swim 500 meters in Smithville Lake, bike for 10 miles and then run a 5K.
Today, I started the process by taking a swim lesson at the pool in my school district, where the pool director has agreed to give me lessons. It's clear that I have a lot to learn and my body has a long way to go before it's ready. I signed up for a training clinic this summer, so I can learn from the pros and get used to swimming in a lake - they say it's quite different from the pool.
I've been reading Slow Fat Triathlete for inspiration, and I think I might just be able to pull this off!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Good for you! I am feeling like a blob too...I signed up for a 5K in June. Now, I just need to start training...
When is it? It will be so cool - and what great motivation!
August 9 - I've got 14 weeks to go from slug to athlete!!
Wow! Sprint tris are the best! I've done a few and must say the toughest part is the transitions... making the legs shift from swimming to biking to running is weird but so much fun! congrats!
That is awesome! What's the date and maybe I'll join you-although swimming in Smithville Lake for 500 yds sounds pretty scary! Grant is doing a kid's triathlon in Leavenworth this Saturday!
Oh-I just saw that it's August 9th-I guess I should read all the comments before I put my two cents in :)
Me-again! Grant had his triathlon today and it was a lot of fun. He posted about it on his blog. You can link to it through mine. Maybe you'll find more inspiration :)
Post a Comment