Today was a travelling day. I let myself sleep in a little, then packed up and walked down to the station to start my journey.
I took the train from Bath to London Paddington, then the Tube to Liverpool Street, then the Stansted Express train to Stansted Airport. In the Tube station, a man asked me if it was the right train for Liverpool Street. I was very flattered that I looked like I knew what I was doing on my very first trip on the Underground!
Stansted was nuts. It seemed like everyone there was stressed out - people were yelling at the poor workers behind the counters and there was a long "queue" for everything. I just told myself not to absorb everyone else's stress and that it would all be over soon.
I finally got on the plane, which was delayed half an hour in taking off, but the wait wasn't so bad because I was being entertained by the stories of a nice couple from the US. They had missed their flight and been forced to buy new tickets. Then they were taking the Stansted Express when it decided to stop mid-way there and leave them stranded in the middle of nowhere. THEN, they were finally going through security when she was pulled out of line for having pepper spray in her bag. It turns out that it is illegal to have pepper spray in England, and they called the police, who took her mug shot and fingerprinted her before letting her off with a warning!
When the flight arrived over Salzburg, we were delayed again by a big thunderstorm, which gave us dramatic views of lightning bolts lighting up the night sky as we descended. The American couple decided that it was just their luck.
I got another stamp in my passport and then emerged to find my sister waiting for me! Now I am holed up in her cozy apartment and feeling much more relaxed!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment