Tuesday, July 03, 2007

For Laci's List





Laci keeps a good-natured list of "Reasons Why Nicole is a Dork." Today, I did several things that Laci might want to add to her list!

Reason Number One:
I went to King's Cross Station and wandered around until I found this homage to Harry Potter (see first picture, above) - it's platform 9 3/4!! Notice how the trolley cart appears to disappear into the wall. I know this makes me a dork, but I thought it was cool.

Reason Number Two:
I went back to the British Zoo, I mean Museum, and this time (having had a good night's sleep) took some time to see the Rosetta Stone, the friezes from the Parthenon, some ancient Grecian urns and the beautiful architecture of the museum itself.

Reason Number Three:
I went to the British Library, and although I hadn't had this on my original to-do list, I think this was the highlight of trip so far. I saw an original printing of Shakespeare's "Richard III": "a horfe, a horfe, my kingdom for a horfe." I saw an original manuscript from Jane Austen, and Charlotte Bronte's original manuscript of "Jane Eyre." I saw an original Mozart piece of hand-written music. I saw old Bibles hand-calligraphied by monks, and I saw ancient Budhist poems decorated with beautiful paintings. Just in time for tomorrow's holiday, I saw an original proof sheet of the stamps that the American Colonists were required to pay taxes on until the repeal of the Stamp Act, and an edict from King George calling for the "suppression of the rebellion." And - be still my heart - I saw the original scrawls of Lennon and McCartney of the lyrics to "Yesterday" and "Help!" It was literary and musical heaven.

PS:
And the picture of me riding the London Eye this morning, high above the Houses of Parliament and Big Ben, is for Jami, who specifically requested that I include some pictures with me in them!

1 comment:

Laci Wollard said...

The list is getting longer and longer, Grammar Girl! Looks like you are having so much fun! See you Monday!