Here are some translations from British to American English. It was like another language, only instead of understanding nothing, I understood the words but not their context!
queue = line (as in "The queue was too long, so I decided to come back later.")
nicked = stolen
car park = parking lot
brilliant = cool
interval = intermission
cheers = good-bye, thanks, you're welcome, that's OK
jumper = sweater
nip = go quickly (as in "I'll just nip into this store.")
half three = 3:30
spots = zits, acne
quid = pound (a quid is to a pound as a buck is to a dollar)
pavement = sidewalk
subway = underground pedestrian walkway (not the Tube!)
brolly = umbrella
lorry = truck
torch = flashlight
advert = advertisement
sarnie = sandwich
lemonade = 7-Up or Sprite
biscuit = cookie
jacket potato = baked potato
chips = French fries
crisps = chips
pasty (pronounced PASS-tee, not PAY-stee) = meat or cheese pie
first floor = second floor
holiday = vacation
pull = pick up (as in "Weddings are a good place to pull men."
pants = underwear (what we call pants, they call trousers)
wellies = galoshes
nought = zero
convenience = bathroom
And particularly confusing . . .
public school = private school (what we call a public school, they call a state school)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Cheers on your brilliant dictionary!
(i thought i would try out my new skills) -- we will have to get together soon and hear all the harrowing details of your adventure.
Love this blog... I'm going to start incorporating your dictionary into my every day speech.
And some additions:
terrace = patio
fag = cigarette
mobile = cell phone
telle = TV
Those are pretty common, but those are also the only ones that I actually remember to incorporate.
As I say, "After I get done watching the telle, I'm going out on the terrace to use my mobile and smoke a fag."
Post a Comment