Monday, June 18, 2007

A Tough Morning, But a Good Day

I woke up with the sun, thinking "another beautiful day in Bath!" But things got off to a difficult start when the shower decided not to work for me here at the hostel. I went down to the showers on the second floor, and there was a line (or queue, as they call it here). By the time it was my turn, there was no time to wash my hair before I left for my tour. In fact, I had to run to make it to the tour on time! When I got there, I realized that I had forgotten my camera. I was getting pretty discouraged, but sat there trying hard to think positive, Pollyanna "glad-game" thoughts.

When we got to Stonehenge, it started to rain - hard. With a driving wind. But finally, the rain stopped and there was just a mist left hanging over the stones, and it was really serene and peaceful. It really put me in a better frame of mind to enjoy the day.

I bought a disposable camera at the gift shop, and I used it for the rest of the day in Avebury (another stone circle), Lockard (quaint town where the BBC version of "Pride and Prejudice" was filmed) and Castle Combe (another picture-postcard village).

Then I came back and bought a ticket for a musical called "Blood Brothers" at the Theatre Royal. The clerk accidentally tried to sell me two tickets - I guess people don't go to the theater alone much around here!

3 comments:

Jimmy said...

Hope the musical was good.

You might need to to know the following:

THE CLINK
The name of a prison which was on Clink Street in the Southwark area of London.

Law reformer Jeremy Bentham left his entire estate to London’s University College in 1832 on condition that he be stuffed, dressed in his finest clothes and mounted in a chair from where he would continue to attend the annual meeting of the university’s board of governors. His figure is still brought out to preside over an annual debate.

There are a dozen secret rivers flowing beneath London. One, the Effra travels under the Oval cricket ground.

Britain is he only country in the world which doesn’t have the country’s name in its postage stamps.

Nowhere in Britain is more than 74½ miles from the sea.

When it was built in 1286, Harlech Castle in West Wales was right on the coast. Now it id half a mile inland. This is because the land around the castle is slowly rising – part of northern Britain springing back into position after being weighed down during the Ice Age.

the bird said...

Nicole, this is great that you're doing this! Thanks for keeping us all posted. It feels like I'm right along with you - well, not quite, but wishful thinking!

Kathleen said...

Hi Nicole!
How fabulous that you are telling such great accounts about your travels. It really makes me want to boodk a flight and head over! I was so tickled about the beeswax that I shared it with my co-workers! Now we are all going around saying mind you beeswax!
Continue to keep your positive attitude; even when things aren't going so smooth, you'll enjoy your trip much better!
Can't wait to read more!